Connacht make it clean sweep for the Irish

Connacht players celebrate after their famous win

Report: Connacht make it clean sweep for Irish
Connacht made it a spectacular clean sweep for the four Irish provinces in the Heineken Cup in Round 3 as they stunned four-time champions Toulouse with their first win on French soil in the tournament.
Toulouse hadn't been beaten at Stade Ernest Wallon in the Heineken Cup since 2009, yet only managed to lead for five minutes in a game that started at breakneck speed and never let up for a second.
Following on from the big Leinster win at Northampton Saints, Ulster's huge home win over Benetton Treviso and Munster's bonus point triumph at home against Perpignan, Pat Lam's Connacht side had the whole of Ireland urging them on to make it a clean sweep. They didn't disappoint.
Their line-speed and commitment in defence was amazing and their offensive ability made life difficult for Toulouse all through the game. They scored one try and had a second ruled out by the TMO for a slight knock-on some 80 metres back in the move.
Dan Parks gave Connacht the lead with a 13th minute penalty and then added a drop goal three minutes later to make it 6-0. It didn't help the home cause that outside half Jean-Pascal Barraque missed with two penalty kicks, but he did make up for his first mistake with a brilliant individual try on the stroke of half-time.

He dummied past Craig Clarke, weaved past Robbie Henshaw and touched down at the posts for a try which he converted to make it 7-6 to the home side at the break.
That lead didn't last for long, however, as Parks hammered over a penalty five minutes into the second half and then scrum half Kieran Marmion rounded off a brilliant right touchline move involving Henshaw and Fionn Carr by burrowing over for a try which was finally confirmed by the TMO.
Parks converted superbly off the touchline and that gave Connacht a 16-7 lead with just over half-an-hour to play. Barraque's second penalty miss was the cue for Toulouse coach Guy Noves to introduce Lionel Beauxis into the game for the final quarter.
Henshaw thought he had extended the Connacht lead after 58 minutes when he raced half-the-length of the field to cross at the posts. The visitors' had turned desperate defence into thrilling attack after Toulouse had lost the ball in the visitors' 22.

Gavin Duffy and Marmion combined to send the full back racing clear, but Romanian referee Marius Mitrea asked the TMO to check the origin of the move. Unfortunately for Connacht the TMO discovered a slight knock-on some 70 metres back in the play by a Connacht player and they missed out on seven points.

Seven minutes later Toulouse kicked to the left corner and rumbled skipper Thierry Dusautoir over for a try from a driving line-out. Beauxis converted off the touchline and the gap was suddenly only two points.
That score set-up a thrilling final 15 minutes in which Connacht never stopped taking the game to their illustrious opponents and defended like tigers. Dan Parks missed with a drop goal and a 50 metre penalty in those closing minute to add to the drama, but there was no denying the Irishmen one of the biggest upsets in Heineken Cup history.

Posted by Maryna Warren on 09/12/2013 12:44:19 |

Blog post currently doesn't have any comments.
Leave comment Subscribe

 Security code